Providing Instructional Leadership
Alberta’s Principal Quality Standards outline that an effective principal that provides instructional leadership “ensures that all students have ongoing access to quality teaching and learning opportunities to meet the provincial goals of education."
- Demonstrates a sound understanding of current pedagogy and curriculum
- Implements strategies for addressing standards of student achievement
- Ensures that student assessment and evaluation practices throughout the school are fair, appropriate and balanced
- Implements effective supervision and evaluation to ensure that all teachers consistently meet the Alberta Teaching Quality Standard
- Ensures that appropriate pedagogy is utilized in response to various dimensions of student diversity
- Ensures that students have access to appropriate programming based on their individual learning needs
- Recognizes the potential of new and emerging technologies, and enables their meaningful integration in support of teaching and learning
- Ensures that teachers and other staff communicate and collaborate with parents and community agencies, where appropriate, to support student learning i) supports the use of community resources to enhance student learning.
What others have to say:
- "Vicky has an instructional style that is inclusive for all students; she effectively differentiates instruction and assessment in order to ensure growth and success for all. It is evident her students are comfortable and happy in their classroom and that Vicky has a very positive rapport with them. Even the most challenging students find themselves cared for and accommodated emotionally and academically with Vicky."
- "Vicky, thank you for sharing resources, the Building Readers' Program and helping me with programming and placing students."
- "We appreciate all that you do for the students and staff. Your vast expertise in the technology area, the reading programs and the special education field are such an important asset to our school. Your warm spirit and bubbly personality are second to none."
- ... Vicky helps staff and parents understand the children and how to help them...
- "Vicky is approachable and capable of seeing the different ways in which children learn. Her ability to give pointers on how to teach them is most appreciated and useful with such a wide variety of learning styles in the school system today."
- "Thank you so much for providing your technical and moral support leading up to and during my presentation. You made a big difference!"
I continue to develop Instructional Leadership by:
On-going PD for myself:
Examples of teaching and technology conferences I have attended:
Examples of providing Professional Development for others: